Broken engine mounts

Engine troubles? Try here.
bbonomo

Broken engine mounts

Post by bbonomo » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:23 am

Hi, I got a little too ambitious off-roading during the Rocky Mountain Pinzgauer Treffen this summer and I think I busted my engine mounts. After hitting the under side of my truck pretty violently on a rock I noticed that my idle was increasing on its own. It wasn't until I was back home and attempted to track down the problem that I noticed the engine had perhaps shifted 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch.
IMG_3230.jpg
IMG_3230.jpg (852.02 KiB) Viewed 89 times
IMG_3231.jpg
IMG_3231.jpg (929.19 KiB) Viewed 89 times
IMG_3232.jpg
IMG_3232.jpg (827.54 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Similarly, when I'd start the truck I'd hear a pretty loud, distinct banging, but only during starting. I'm not attributing the banging to the end of the exhaust manifold making contact with the collar into the heat exchanger.
IMG_3378.jpg
IMG_3378.jpg (539.57 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Side note - Not being much of a mechanic, I assumed that breaking motor mounts would've been more catastrophic than what I'm seeing here. I also assumed that bolts would've passed through mounting points on both the engine and the mounts on the center drive line.

Do I understand correctly that bolts terminate into this rubber block and the bolts from each direction just tie into that? (ie there's not a single bolt all the way through the rubber block?)

In other words, I'm trying to determine whether or not I sheered a bolt in the engine mount. I don't believe i did. I believe I just effectively sheered the rubber block.

I found a nice write up on the forum about using a come along through the antenna plate on the top of the cab to capture the engine and lift a bit to allow replacement of the rubber blocks. I'm not exactly sure how to do that without potentially damaging a lot of stuff on the top of and around the engine. Any advice for replacing these would be greatly appreciated! I might use it as an opportunity to drop the flex kit in on the exhaust as well...

Thanks!

rmel
United States of America

Re: Broken engine mounts

Post by rmel » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:16 pm

Group 1 70 in documentation shows a blow-up of the mounts.
Also here at EI https://expedition-imports.com/Engine-M ... c_178.html

Wow that must have been one heck of an impact.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712M

Driver: Ron // KO0Q

bbonomo

Post by bbonomo » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:21 pm

Indeed it was. Once I identified the broken mounts I immediately printed this diagram. I’m just trying to wrap my arms completely around the repair and what I’m potentially getting myself into

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:22 pm

Once you have the replacement engine mounts in hand, you'll be able to visualize how they need to be slipped into place. They are relatively simple parts. You shouldn't have to lift the engine very much to replace the mounts and the engine is relatively light, as engines go.

If you add your location to your profile you may find that someone near you has done this and will comment.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
2002 MB G500 (For Sale)

bbonomo

Post by bbonomo » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:40 pm

My location is updated. Thanks for that advice. I appreciate the feedback!