Civilian spark plugs with pinz distributor??

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
markv

Civilian spark plugs with pinz distributor??

Post by markv »

Hi everyone,

I'm happy with the standard distributor on my 710K for the moment at least, but I'd like to get new high tension leads and use civilian plugs.

What are my options here please, I've alwasy foud it a bit unsatisfactory to make my own leads for various vehicles I've had when compared to factory manufactured quality.

Thanks
Mark
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Civilian spark plugs with pinz distributor??

Post by 4x4Pinz »

If you are wanting to keep the original distributor cap and run newer spark plugs then options are limited. If you want to convert to a civilian cap, wires and plugs then Expedition imports could help you out. Might want to consider the full conversion to petronix and get rid of the points in favor of the electronic version. This is by far one of the most common changes made to the ignition system.
https://expedition-imports.com/PZIGCONV

Of course I still prefer the SSI system but you want to keep the old distributor for some reason. :wink:
markv

Post by markv »

Keeping the points 4x4Pinz? Old fashioned and quaint :)

Nope just controlling costs for the moment, my resto is a blood, cash and time sucker.

I guess I could get some HT leads and civy caps and just fab some and see how they do, or continue to run the military system.

Thanks for the link and words 4x4Pinz :)
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Stock points hate water and moisture(and winter). While cheap, they will leave you stuck. That said, you can make wires and use the proper heat range plugs(NGK BP6ES) for much better driveability.
All of the milspec plugs I have seen and tested were too cold.
This means hard cold starts and are best avoided by upgrading to at least cap, wires, plugs.
Make a choice and move forward!
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
markv

Post by markv »

Thanks Jim
Mark