Adapter plates for 2-1/16" gauges into 60mm holes?

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Adapter plates for 2-1/16" gauges into 60mm holes?

Post by ChickenPinz »

Anyone have a source for adapter plates to allow installation of US standard 2-1/16in gauges into the 60mm holes for the two smaller of the dashboard gauges? Looking to replace the hourmeter with a tachometer. Seem to be plenty of options in 2-1/16in that are 0-5,000 RPM.

And yes, I can make them if I need to, but it'd be easier to buy something already made.
rmel
United States of America

Re: Adapter plates for 2-1/16" gauges into 60mm holes?

Post by rmel »

Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

The VDO 6000rpm Tach Kit that Swiss Army Vehicles offers includes the hole adapter and the 24 volt to 12 volt resistor for a quick and easy installation.
IMG_0043.jpg
IMG_0043.jpg (201.61 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

I read a lot of gripes about that VDO tach in the Pinz forums, but it is on my short list.

I'm still looking for one that includes an hour meter, but no luck so far in that smaller (2-1/16 or 2-/38) size.

Long term: I'm building an engine monitor and may use one of those gauge sites for a round graphical display. The challenge is to make it fit the character of the vehicle as I'm trying to stay as stock looking as possible.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Yes, there were some scattered issues with the VDO tachs. I've installed 4 of them and had problems with one. On that one I switched to shielded wire for the signal wire to the coil and that solved the problem of the jumping/inconsistent readings.

I imagine you've seen the SpeedHut gauges (https://www.speedhut.com). Perhaps they can fab something to your liking.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

pcolette wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:00 am Yes, there were some scattered issues with the VDO tachs. I've installed 4 of them and had problems with one. On that one I switched to shielded wire for the signal wire to the coil and that solved the problem of the jumping/inconsistent readings.

I imagine you've seen the SpeedHut gauges (https://www.speedhut.com). Perhaps they can fab something to your liking.
Thanks for that link on SpeedHut -- definitely some good options there! I'm going to reach out to them to see about 24V operation and the chances of a 5,000 RPM dial face.
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

Please post up anything you find out. The blank hole on mine needs to be filled but a tach on the pinz seems, well, pretty unnecessary if you have ears.

Anything else interesting/easy to install, maybe some multifunction monitoring, would be of interest to me.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

djw wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:51 pm Please post up anything you find out. The blank hole on mine needs to be filled but a tach on the pinz seems, well, pretty unnecessary if you have ears.

Anything else interesting/easy to install, maybe some multifunction monitoring, would be of interest to me.
A multifunction monitor is my plan -- it's just not top of my list quite yet. But please think about what you'd want to see, and watch for me to start another thread on this topic. I'm an airplane person, so engines want to be monitored. :)

My challenge is to do something that is functional, but not obnoxious for a retro vehicle like this.
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

ChickenPinz wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:50 pm A multifunction monitor is my plan -- it's just not top of my list quite yet. But please think about what you'd want to see, and watch for me to start another thread on this topic. I'm an airplane person, so engines want to be monitored. :)

My challenge is to do something that is functional, but not obnoxious for a retro vehicle like this.
My experience is airplanes too - more experience there than with the pinz. But something simple (k.i.s.s.) that makes sense in the genre. I'm sure almost anything that would work on a 4 cyl Lycoming could work here, but hopefully less $.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
newtopinz
United States of America

Post by newtopinz »

May I suggest an attitude indicator.
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

newtopinz wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:38 pm May I suggest an attitude indicator.
Ah, yes! I have that in the FJ and the 4Runner -- I'll put that on my list.