Engine wanted

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
Lee6x6
United States of America

Re: Engine wanted

Post by Lee6x6 »

Just met Dokatd in person. He was gracious enough to let me drive his awesome R2.8 powered C303. It is a sweet set up. Was able to chirp the tires in 1st and 2nd gear. The front parabolic springs are also compliant and sweet handling. Super awesome to meet someone local that have a wealth of knowledge on these rigs. Thanks for taking the time KC. Will definitely keep in touch!
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Congratulations!
Any photos? Video?
The rest of use are curious about the details.
Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northestmogfest.com
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Jim, I’m not sure if you have my number, not sure we have ever talked in person. But feel free to PM or email me and we can talk or text directly. I can send pics of anything you want or even face time if you have an iPhone.
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Thanks for the invitation. I sent my phone number to you through a private message.
I am very interested in seeing as much detail of the finished (these projects are ALWAYS ongoing even in the fine details) product to date.
Here's to a HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and all the members of The Portal Hub forums. Special thanks to Vince. Hope to meet you face-to-face in 2020.
Take care...one and all!

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Finally got a good sampling for MPG. Looks like I’m getting 17mpg with a fairly heavy/sporty foot. 20mpg+ should be easy with a light foot.
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

I agree with the 20+ estimate.. I put the R2.8 in my FJ-40 (much lighter rig obviously) but due to the incredible performance and the intoxicating sound of the turbo spooling up I am not easy on the skinny pedal by any means and am getting about 27mpg.

I've been chatting with the Cummins Repower team and may tackle putting one in my Pinzgauer this fall.. will see.

There are pics on my instagram feed for the curious :wink: http://instagram.com/sarpinz

Cheers,
Ben
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Was that highway and city combined? What size tire are you running?
GadgetPhreak wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:55 am I've been chatting with the Cummins Repower team and may tackle putting one in my Pinzgauer this fall.. will see.
Do you honestly think that would work out very well? That would be some extreme "engineering" not to mention the driveline can't deal with that kind of power for long, the endless cooling system issues, etc etc
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

I'm not immediately convinced, no, or I would have already started down that path :-)

Doing the Cummins Swap in the FJ was partially to just get some learnings to help inform on the potential challenges. The Gen II Pinzgauers used a VW 5spd Diesel, with the front mounted intercooler so there's parts and reference points. I don't know if your experience has been very different, but my R2.8 runs really cool with very little air flow. So does my current air cooled gas engine in the Pinz. I'm not convinced that cooling will be an issue.. plus I can always add cooling on the roof, in the tunnel, etc.. I know it's not a slam-dunk, and a lot of efforts to engine Swap in a Pinz has failed spectacularly, but not all of them have. It's that hope that keeps me looking into it..

I've also reached out to S-Tec about picking up one of their repowers, which of course is a proven quantity in the Pinz, which may make it the best choice.

For now I'm logging miles and smiles :D
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

..oh, and just look at the skepticism for you being successful in the Volvo, until you were :D
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

GadgetPhreak, I’m a bit confused who you are talking to. But I say go for it on the pinz. Honestly I do think it’s not the best engine option but it would make the pinz a fun truck. My biggest desire on the pinz was an automatic which was going to be an easy swap but I sold my pinz before I got started. That said, I would pick a C303 over a pinz all day long.

A pinz with a warmed over stock engine and a ZF4HP22 would be bad ass. An R2.8 in a pinz would be ridiculously fun if you can pull it off. But maybe nose heavy?
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:19 pm Was that highway and city combined? What size tire are you running?
On my Volvo I’m running 34” tires. 17mpg is sort of combined. Much of my driving was done at 50mph surface streets with some being 70mph Tollway. To truly get a good combined I would really think I would need to run a known amount of fuel 1/2 tank or more on the highway and similar for city. For now I am planning on 17mpg until I get 3 or 4 more tanks through it.
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

dokatd wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:52 pm GadgetPhreak, I’m a bit confused who you are talking to. But I say go for it on the pinz. Honestly I do think it’s not the best engine option but it would make the pinz a fun truck. My biggest desire on the pinz was an automatic which was going to be an easy swap but I sold my pinz before I got started. That said, I would pick a C303 over a pinz all day long.

A pinz with a warmed over stock engine and a ZF4HP22 would be bad ass. An R2.8 in a pinz would be ridiculously fun if you can pull it off. But maybe nose heavy?
Sorry, the color scheme on the site makes seeing the segmentation between comments a struggle.. I thought it was DokaTd asking the questions :D

The R2.8 is pretty light, it's about 30% lighter than the engine I pulled from my FJ40, I don't know the weight of the 2.7L in my Pinz (it's an Fuel Injected stock motor re-worked by GoatWerks).
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

Petrol pinzgauers and diesel pinzgauers are 2 verry different trucks....tis not just the engine alone :roll:
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

All fitting/cooling/butchering arguments aside, a 500lb engine with 300 lb-ft (400 NM) of torque will rip an old Pinz up fast (maybe even instantly?). It was built for about 130 ft-lbs and 90hp. The Volvo is much more truck-like in its design and can definitely handle more power better. Same with the FJ's (I restored a '72 once!)

Hec just the internal rolling inertia of that diesel would stress the Pinz badly... imagine a hard clutch drop by accident, or a tire catching a rock in a bad way with the lockers on. That's a whole different level of energy to stop compared to stock torque.

The diesel revs to what, 3500 rpms tops? (Do you know real-world figures on that doka?) Taller gears are needed, plus you have that whole center spine issue to deal with. The engine bay is radically different than a Volvo or FJ which are both pretty conventional. Even the diesel Pinz has a ton of differences to allow for a more conventional engine. The Stec conversion would be a massive enough job, even if performed by them on an old Pinz. Will they even touch an old Pinz for conversions? The 2.8 would probably be a few times the trouble and expense, esp. in the long run. Oh and I've still never seen these other successful conversions people refer to. I've seen severely cut up pieces of junk but nothing worthwhile yet. I think EV West is the closest to showing off the first real viable conversion, if they ever have time to finish that one.

I actually enjoyed my stock motors, and the rare factory 2.7, on the 3 Pinz's I've owned over the years, and never did have a major issue. :)
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

I’m conflicted on if the pinz drive train can handle the R2.8. Having been neck deep in the pinz drive train a few times I never found it to be overly delicate. Biggest pain is the 4/6wd selector in the witches hat.

The transmission on the C303 is not exactly a brute part either. I had my doubts and was always ready to move to plan B if necessary.

It’s been awhile since I had a pinz in my possession, but as I recall there is not a lot of roof for alternate engines. Such a weird design!! I bet an aircraft or VW engine shop could squeeze a ton more oomph out of the stock engine which would go a very very long way in a pinz. And again either an auto with .75 od or just an aux OD would make the pinz feel so much better driving down the highway to me.