Lots of cheap heaters popping up

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Joeri
Belgium

Re: Lots of cheap heaters popping up

Post by Joeri »

Hello

Well the chinees heater came in today.... :mrgreen:

It has exactly the same bolt patern as the Eberspacher so no holes have to be drilled, and its a bit smaller then the eberspacher :D

Same bolt patern and the same conections:

As i have a Diesel pinz its more of a one on one replacement ....will post some more pictures soon.
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

To avoid a second fuel tank, I would consider a gasoline version as was the original in my 710K. Are they not made or is sticking with gasoline a foolish endeavor?
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

In my case there was no previous heater so I went diesel because, mainly, I didn't see any petrol based ones available or that were priced like that, and secondly, diesel is inherently safer and more efficient.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

Personaly...i would use a ( second) small fuel tank and just go with diesel....they don 't use a lot of fuel :wink:
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

whitesik wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:32 am To avoid a second fuel tank, I would consider a gasoline version as was the original in my 710K. Are they not made or is sticking with gasoline a foolish endeavor?
I have not seen a petrol version of these cheap ebay heaters - all diesel.

I used to be aircrew in a navy aircraft with twin radials burning hi octane avgas. It had a avgas burning heater in the nose - we were always too scared to use it in case it caught fire which other operators had issues with - was eventually disconnected so it could not be lit up.
3-31-2010_014.jpg
3-31-2010_014.jpg (51.9 KiB) Viewed 7683 times
Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

Some more work done :mrgreen:

Now....here's where everything come's out the pinz and its normaly hidden behind this ugly panel that i didnt like so i came with this solution :
The original panel:
The new solution :

The new box still needs a second paint spray ....i am going to put the solar regulator in here becouse it sits verry close to my battery's ....and becouse i have 2 12volt ones ( one starting and one living battery), it can charge my living one anny time . Also one of two intake muflers for the heater is going in here :P

This is how it looks behind the new box:
Pinz710
United States of America

Post by Pinz710 »

Ah yes- rig up all the nice plastic "MADE IN CHINA" stuff you can to your specialized Austrian truck- what a brilliant- and quintesentially American thing to do. I'll be waiting for the "So my Pinzgauer burned down but I don't know why..." post.
I don't understand the mindless modifying of these trucks. If a Pinzgauer doesn't fit your needs as it comes, WHY DO YOU OWN ONE?
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Pinz710 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:03 pm Ah yes- rig up all the nice plastic "MADE IN CHINA" stuff you can to your specialized Austrian truck- what a brilliant- and quintesentially American thing to do. I'll be waiting for the "So my Pinzgauer burned down but I don't know why..." post.
I don't understand the mindless modifying of these trucks. If a Pinzgauer doesn't fit your needs as it comes, WHY DO YOU OWN ONE?
Rivet counters are alive and well - if you own it you can do what you want to it.
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

Pinz710 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:03 pm Ah yes- rig up all the nice plastic "MADE IN CHINA" stuff you can to your specialized Austrian truck- what a brilliant- and quintesentially American thing to do. I'll be waiting for the "So my Pinzgauer burned down but I don't know why..." post.
Well mine came from the factory with a Dieselheater but the damn thing is 35 years old and had faild for the third time ( draws a lot of amps when starting up ) ...so heaving it checked or fixed would cost more than this new one , so i give it a try :mrgreen:
It still runs and is a lot quieter than the old one , has a timer/ temp. function you can activate so why would you not go for it?
I know some of you are wanting these trucks as factory spec, and i get it but mine is a bit different.....it was build like the buyer requested, it has never been a army truck and is one of the 211 civilian Diesel pinzgauers made.
Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

Pinz710 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:03 pm If a Pinzgauer doesn't fit your needs as it comes, WHY DO YOU OWN ONE?
I'm pretty sure that no one here has an army to outfit, so short of being a military memorabilia collector most owners and potential owners see an extraordinarily capable platform that with a little tweaking has the potential to be the ultimate *INSERT USAGE SCENARIO HERE* vehicle. I honestly question how much use an owner is getting from their Pinz if they haven't modified it at least a bit to their particular application.

Part of the allure of surplus Pinzies is the cost to value factor, so replacing a non-essential ~45 year old heater, or adding a new one, at ~$1500-$2000 USD for a new 24v gas Eberspacher unit on a truck that may have been purchased for as little as $7000 USD just doesn't make good economic sense to a lot of folks.

There's certainly nothing wrong with testing value replacement/add-on parts as long as it's done with potential risks in mind. This forum is full of budget-minded solutions to all sorts of mechanical and accessory needs. We all benefit when someone here takes the time and consideration to explore these options and shares with the rest of us. By the way, thanks everybody!
Jason @battlebornpinzgauer
[1975 Pinzgauer 710K 2.7L EFI, 1972 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder]
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

Gentlemen, ladies?,
Don't give up so easy on the original Eberspachers, there are a pain but once refurbished, they do great.

I have produced pressure reg diaphragms and some other small parts that usually contribute to a good running unit.

If you do give up, please consider publishing the old units for parts, in this forum AND in thesamba.com. Many WV bus drivers are restestoring them and parts are welcome.

Contact Jason Niegel "Notchboy" (active on the Samba forum) for help, parts trading buying or selling.

Jerome
Jerome
CRJ Driver
Derrickbwg
United States of America

Post by Derrickbwg »

I bet yours is quite entertaining to drive on those Maloya tires :D ...you are running OEM maloyas right??
1975 710K
1974 710M
2018 G63
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

Back on topic! Any update on how these are working and installation? I am particularly interested in the All in One units.
Jason, did you get yours installed?
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

whitesik wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:15 am Back on topic! Any update on how these are working and installation? I am particularly interested in the All in One units.
Jason, did you get yours installed?
Unfortunately, no. The weather warmed, COVID set in, and I've been "working" from the trail through much of this crazy time. I'll definitely post an update when I get back to the heater project.
Jason @battlebornpinzgauer
[1975 Pinzgauer 710K 2.7L EFI, 1972 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder]
hatzlibutzli
Germany

Post by hatzlibutzli »

This spring I was unwillingly forced to make a long term test of my chinese heater:
As general practitioner I was faced with our first wave of Covid Cases at the end of february. The safest place to treat the infectious patients was a coleman event shelter in front of my office/practice with a sheath over a window to the interior ... and that tent needed a heating: In the sometimes quite cold alpine spring the heater worked for many hours, something like 500h ... only the regular gasoline refill .. without complaints.
Finally it got summer and more important our Covid Cases are under controll. The tent is to be replaced by a underpressurised infectious disease room with regular heating this week, since the peak (hopefully the last!) is long passed.
I wish you guys in the US, that you can reach this point soon as well. Stay all healthy!

Greets from Bavaria .... Simon