Tail light gasket replacement?

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
imacky
United States of America

Re: Tail light gasket replacement?

Post by imacky »

Yeah the OEM ones were soft, which is why I'd use a soft replacelment like silicone or neoprene if I had a choice. I'll probably end up with plain old rubber gaskets, which hopefully will seal properly-- a good fit and those sharp ridges should help.

Once the engine cover and the tail lights are back on with new seals, I'll put a few miles on some very dry and dusty dirt roads, then hose off the rear end, take the lenses back off and see how dusty it is inside. The bulbs were pretty dusty when I took the lenses off the first time, enough to dim them.
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

Lots of options on McMaster: https://www.mcmaster.com/silicone-rubbe ... er~10amps/

I'll take my sample to a machinist friend and see if he can estimate the shore hardness. Presuming no one else has a good estimate of it yet...
imacky
United States of America

Post by imacky »

My OEM gasket feels rubber-band soft, so maybe Shore 20A.
shore_chart.jpg
shore_chart.jpg (82.82 KiB) Viewed 3996 times
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

Here's my solution: a ring of Tygon tubing. The blue painter's tape is optional, and to aid in installation so it doesn't roll out of place.
IMG_20200716_143334 (Large).jpg
IMG_20200716_143334 (Large).jpg (230.33 KiB) Viewed 3972 times
IMG_20200716_143348 (Large).jpg
IMG_20200716_143348 (Large).jpg (180.21 KiB) Viewed 3972 times
IMG_20200716_144037 (Large).jpg
IMG_20200716_144037 (Large).jpg (243.89 KiB) Viewed 3972 times
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Going to remind you all once again. The spanner wrench for the fan works perfectly as a removal tool for the rear lens covers on the original lights.
imacky
United States of America

Post by imacky »

Mr Chicken, does the tail light still install OK with your tubing gasket? There's not a lot of room between the lens and the surrounding shield.

I hadn't heard the fan spanner fit the lens cover. I'll try this tomorrow (when it's not 110 in the barn).
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

imacky wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:28 pm Mr Chicken, does the tail light still install OK with your tubing gasket? There's not a lot of room between the lens and the surrounding shield.

I hadn't heard the fan spanner fit the lens cover. I'll try this tomorrow (when it's not 110 in the barn).
Excellent question! Yes, it fits, but it's squeaky close.

I had to select a particularly thin-walled tygon tubing to make it work. I think it's 1/8in ID, but not sure. Adding the bit of tape around the outside helps it slide in more easily.

I so do not miss the afternoon I battled getting the lenses off the first time. Although I like that spanner wrench idea, I think I'd have had to rotate with a crazy amount of force to break 'em loose, so much so I'd have been afraid of breaking 40yo plastic parts.
imacky
United States of America

Post by imacky »

Yes, the fan spanner is a perfect fit for the two recesses around the screws on the tail light lens. Considering how hard I had to pull to get the lenses off, it probably wouldn't be any riskier to use the spanner to twist a lens to break the seal if it's stuck. If I had to do it again, I'd try that first.
imacky
United States of America

Post by imacky »

Here's a pic of the OEM (I think) seal, the dairy one I tried (right OD, wrong width), and the last is what I'm using now, rubber sink strainer gaskets which I got from Lowes. They're part #726060 and are available various places, usually 5 for about $6; search for sink strainer gaskets "726060". I had to modify them a bit since they were too wide: cut out some to clear the two posts which accept the lens screws, and one small hole to clear the small post on the tail light body. This last little post looks like the sort of thing used to locate/fit two mating parts (like lens and body), but there's no matching hole on the lens, so its function is unknown. The OED gasket is a little bigger OD (camera angle exagerates it), but I'm satisfied with what I've got. Rubber is soft enough to seal well (I think)... will take the lenses back off eventually to check for dust incursion.
Attachments
tail_light_gaskets.jpg
tail_light_gaskets.jpg (96.23 KiB) Viewed 3864 times