source for engine cover gasket

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
Pinzgauer Pete

source for engine cover gasket

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Has anyone come across a supplier for the rubber gasket under the engine cover? Mine is torn in many places and letting in fumes.
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
pcolette
United States of America

Engine Cover Seal

Post by pcolette »

SAV has it available:
http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... no=SAV6580

I used 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive to install it. Besides sealing in the fumes and heat it also cut down on the noise.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Wow. Surprisingly cheap too, for Pinz parts.
imacky
United States of America

Re: source for engine cover gasket

Post by imacky »

I bought a replacement seal from SAV but have to decide how to glue it to the engine cover... the 3M weatherstrip adhesive sounds good, but you have to apply a thin coat to both sides, wait until it's tacky, then stick the seal to the cover...

OK, but it's about 13' of seal and I have to do this solo... imagine coating the whole 13' seal with adhesive and putting it in place by yourself without dragging it on the floor etc... that 3M adhesive, once tacky, grabs real hard and doesn't want to be adjusted (I think, haven't actually used it before). Sounds like a recipe for anguiish and frustration.

Something flexible that stuck to plastic and rubber, that I could apply to the cover only, then stick the seal on... and left some time for adjusting if needed.... it'd have to be grabby since there are some sharp turns on the cover. Would silicone caulk/sealant work? What was the OEM glue?

Paul, how did your install go? Any suggestions? Teamwork?
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

With the engine cover upside down and carefully braced so it wouldn't wobble, I did about 2 feet at a time with the adhesive on each surface. Once carefully positioned and stuck thoroughly, I moved on to the next 2 feet. It took some time but came out very nice.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
imacky
United States of America

Post by imacky »

I thought about trying that but wasn't sure... if it worked for you, though, I will give it a try.

undysworld: The seal is relatively cheap since it's not NOS-- it's some new seal that they will send you 3m of off a bulk spool.