Pertronix

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
jan.bauwmans

Pertronix

Post by jan.bauwmans »

Hi,

What are the advantages of Pertronix compared to the original contact points ?

Already tried pinzssi but it just didn't work on my Pinz.

Thanks.

Jan

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G998B met Tapatalk

rmel
United States of America

Re: Pertronix

Post by rmel »

The advantages of an Electronic ignition system -- which is more than just the contact points
is precise initiation of the spark, a hotter spark, and more precise advance. Some electronic ignitions
are better than others, not knocking Pertronix, but I'd put PinzSSI as far superior to the Pertronix,
which is based on the Powerarc module. Either will result in a smoother running engine and a
better burn in the chamber -- assuming one has their ignitions setup properly.

Your replacing a electro-mechanical system -- points and capacitor, and coil with an electronically
controlled ignition, either a Hall effect magnetic pickup or LED/optical timing wheel along with a
high voltage coil (or coil pack). Either will be more precise than electro-mechanical.

The potential negative is it's more complex than the present system, something could fail.

If your great at setting your Pinz ignition timing, it don't get much simpler, then you might be better
off sticking with stock.

If you want to eke out the best performance out of your engine, run smoother, and a tad better
mileage -- convert to Electronic ignition. It's also something new to learn and work around if
something goes "puff" on the trail -- they are reliable but manure happens.

There are a lot of folks on this forum who have successfully converted to PinzSSI, fewer with
Pertronix but they are out there. Reading the conversations over the years it's been pretty positive,
myself included with PinzSSI.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

I had the petronix on one of my 710 m pinzies , works great just have to get the hight of the finger right in the distibutor but with some grinding on some sandpaper it fits...bought mine as a kit so with the civilian cap , wires , sparkplugs and coil ( flamethrower ) . Runs a bit smoother and starts fine , the bigest positieve was that you dont need those expensive millitary sparkplugs :lol:
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

I believe the Pertronix is separate from the cap/plugs as I have Pertronix with original plugs+wires+cap.
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

This is the kit i had :

jan.bauwmans

Post by jan.bauwmans »

Received the kit from S-tec and will keep stock cables, plugs and distr. cap. Installing next weekend

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G998B met Tapatalk

30APINZ
United States of America

Post by 30APINZ »

Joeri wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:57 pm I had the petronix on one of my 710 m pinzies , works great just have to get the hight of the finger right in the distibutor but with some grinding on some sandpaper it fits...bought mine as a kit so with the civilian cap , wires , sparkplugs and coil ( flamethrower ) . Runs a bit smoother and starts fine , the bigest positieve was that you dont need those expensive millitary sparkplugs :lol:
I just ordered this kit with the pertronix from SAV. Are you saying that it doesn’t fit the way it’s sent? Is the sanding per the instructions ? Any advice before I dive into the installation Friday ? Thank you
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

rmel wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:46 am There are a lot of folks on this forum who have successfully converted to PinzSSI, fewer with
Pertronix but they are out there.
I posit that the number of people who *talk* about their ignition system isn't a reasonable indicator of how many *use* a particular system.

I think Pertronix folks are largely quiet as there's not much to talk about. And the Pertronix system (https://pertronixbrands.com/collections ... onversions) is probably in a whole lot more vehicles in general (Pinz + others) given their broad support for many vehicles.

Not saying one is better than the other, but I don't think we have the data to say which one is in more common usage in the Pinz.
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

So...what some need to do with the Pinzgauer Petronix systen is to grind the distrubutor finger / rotor a little bit....just put some sandpaper on a flat surface and grind the underside of the finger / rotor ...not to much and testfit until the cap sits nice on the housing :mrgreen: .

Check this video out :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wivi6tux690