wiper motor gear

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

wiper motor gear

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Anyone know the part number or where to get the plastic gear for the wiper motor?
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Can't tell you the gear part number, but a Porsche fanatic did tell me some years ago that it looked exactly like the rear window unit on an early 911 ....... Maybe a trip to a Porsche wreckers may yield some parts / part numbers.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Folks these gears are not available seperately.
For that reason I had a slew of them manufactured about three years ago in teflon similar to the gears you would find in any modern wiper motor.

Never a popular item to have on your priority parts list in the arid parts of the USA I have steadily sold the stock mostly by mail order to a point where I have two left.

I would lay down a further batch order with the manufacturer if I had an idea of future demand so depending upon response I will give it some priority.
dennis
Linden Engineering Inc
OOOps no customer bashing now
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Dennis how much for one shipped to Las Vegas?

Miles
buffalo_710m

Post by buffalo_710m »

Dennis,

I too would be interested in the gears...from remaining stock or future production.

Buffalo,
Kiwibru

Post by Kiwibru »

Same here Dennis. Still running the original but who knows when that gears time will come...
1975 710M
Charles

Post by Charles »

Hey there Dennis,
Me too. I could pick it up from you next late-winter/early-spring when we arrange for the EFI doohickie...
Best Regards,
Charles
('73 710K)
PS: Keep your stick on the ice
hawkwind5usa

Post by hawkwind5usa »

I found the gear and used it in a burned out rear wiper motor from a 1980ish Volvo Station Wagen.Just go to a junkyard and look around.
I dance to the beat of a different drum!
lindenengineering

Well guys I am astonished by the input.
As they say on the otherside of the pond "Gobsmacked'!

As I originally posted I only have a couple of units left, Miles gets the first as he chimed in first.

I am going to get another 100 units made up and will be in touch with my supplier tomorrow. All of the guys who have ordered the parts I have a record of and will post this follow up again when I know deliveries are imminent.
Best regards
Dennis
p.s Now back to painting the house interior in time for Thanksgiving & Christmas.
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Dennis....sent you a PM, as this is in the technical section.

Miles
lindenengineering

Here's an update I managed to scrounge five gear units in Delrin, (the material we have been having these gears made in.)

I will contact those first five on supplying the gear unit, the rest of my promised production is due in within 15 days. Remember if anyone's wiper motor is downed and you need a wiper operation I can treat it as a priority.
Dennis
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Thanks Dennis
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
lindenengineering

Guys
I have tried to stay off the computer for a few days now to contemplate on the loss of a customer and a mate one Brian Gould who lost his life recently in a RTA. (see other posts on this forum)

I have however need to thank those for buying the delrin gear conversion for their wiper motors from me this past week.

Here are a few tips for a successful repair.
Once you have exposed the old phenolic gear in the wiper motor motor, make a note of how the metal companion gear is pressed into the centre. You will also notice one side of the gear flank has a recess machined in it.
Make sure that the relationship of the companion gear is the same on installing it into the new gear wheel. The companion gear can be removed from the old gear by simply tapping it out with a suitable drift.
I always clean the two items with some mineral spirits to remove grease and then apply super glue to each face before pressing the gear into the new one.
The re-assembly is obviously just a reverse of disassembly.

Just a note as many of you have discovered, the motor unit is not too durable when it fouls obstructions. Make sure that your wipers are not clouting the weatherstrip at the top of the wipe arc and that they are not crashing into the weatherstrip gasket section at the bottom of the windshield.
Also take a look at the spindles that go through the windshield frame. If they are partially seized the unit will eventually burn up, or the whole spindle assy will work itself loose and wallow out the hole(s) in the frame.
In short not good!
Best of luck and I have another batch coming in for those who might need a gear in the future. Certainly a lot cheaper than having to buy a motor assy!
Dennis
Kiwibru

Post by Kiwibru »

Dennis, let us know when you have more of the gears. I would like to order one when you have more. Thanks!
Bruce
1975 710M
lindenengineering

Got gears mate!

Kiwibru and others I have a new batch of gears in today, send me a PM if you want/need one to get that wiper motor working again.
Dennis