Overdrive

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

EuroPinz

Overdrive

Post by EuroPinz »

Hi guys,

Here in Europe we are looking into installing an overdrive on a Pinzgauer. The test has NOT been done yet!
It is an overdrive that bolts in between the drive shaft and the gearbox, and should, according to the manufacturer, reduce the rpm by 25 %. Of course the driveshaft will have to be shortened .... and we are right now checking if the driveshaft wouldn't end up being too short.
In the mean time for your info; here are the links (sorry in German - use a website translator):

http://www.getriebe-overdrive.de/index.php

http://www.getriebe-overdrive.de/index. ... e_vorkrieg

The price is not established yet - but should be around 1,500 Euros for the overdrive + 300 Euros for a shortened driveshaft.

I will keep you updated once we have started with the Tests.

Best Regards,,

Jacques
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I will keep you updated once we have started with the Tests.
Please do! :)
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
pinzinator

Overdrive

Post by pinzinator »

Would a stock Pinzgauer have the power to operate an overdrive? I'm thinking the slightest hill or wind would render it useless, so there would be constant engage/disengage.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

[cWould a stock Pinzgauer have the power to operate an overdrive? I'm thinking the slightest hill or wind would render it useless, so there would be constant engage/disengage.olor=red][/color]
Of course it would not have the power,as it has no power now....BUT reduced rpm at cruising on flat ground would be a treat to MY ears!
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I installed the TD tranny, which gives a 30% overdrive; even with a 2.7l conversion, cam, and FI it still doesn't have really enough power with that high an overdrive (15% would have been better). However, the reduced noise, wear, and ability to draft a semi without worring about the revs is nice! Now I just have to worry about the main shaft spinning that fast!

Hills and headwinds are (still) the problem. The TD tranny caused me to loose half of first gear (first is now halfway between the original first and second) where the OD would have kept the low gearing. If this works, it would be more to my liking than the TD tranny.

Jim Mettler
712W (with TD tranny) and 710M
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

The use of one of the overdrive/underdrive units has been discussed and tried before. Unfortunatly all of that was lost during one of the hacking episodes.

What I recall was that if you use your Pinzgauer off road, the engine and transmission jump around quite a bit. Whoever tried it found there wasn't enough room and/or movement with the OD unit in place. Or something like that. The summary I remember was that the experiment was not a success.

Personally, I'd rather have an underdrive unit to allow very slow crawling over rough stuff.

As for overdrive, my attitude is that if you are going fast enough to want an overdrive you are probably driving the Pinz at unsafe speeds. My truck will go 70-75 MPH on the flats, but I don't feel I could safely swerve or panic stop.

Apparently the Swiss army played games with the speedometer to try to slow down the drivers because of the Pinz's poor traffic safety record.

I figure if you want to go fast on the highway, get a Carrera! :D
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Hey you blokes.
For those of us that have more grey hair than natural that O/D unit looks mighty like a rehashed Laycock DeNormanville unit found on old English Iron like, MG's, Triumphs, Austins, other BL crap and of course Rootes Group oif Coventry renditions like the HILLMAN or the Peykan if you live in Tehran. Even Volvo had a dabble with the 144.

The beauty of this unit was that the mainshaft wasn't subjected to overspeeds since all multiplication took place within the epicyclic pack in the OD case. The down fall of the unit was its internal hydraulics and external electric controls. Even Bosch had problems making it better than Joe Luckie believe it or not!

I thought those bloody things were gone and forgotten, just goes to show the industry has a habit of rebirth of afterbirth.
How you would shoehorn it into a Pinz might be a challenge and besides the the petrol powered unit doesn't like OD transmissions to much but I suppose you could use it as a splitter on the trail, now that might have promise!
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
EuroPinz

Post by EuroPinz »

Update.

The OD is electrically actuated. Meaning, one can be driving the Pinzgauer with the normal gears and also do offroading but only actuate it once on the HWY. On HWY hills simply deactuate it - it'll be like downshifting and still remain in 5th gear.
Bad news. The unit is nearly 400 mm long and the Pinzgauer driveshaft is about 450 mm to 470 mm long. So it is close from impossible to get this unit installed on a Pinzgauer. BTW, we are looking into this unit only to be fitted on our Pinzgauer 712 (6x6) which allready have another gear ratio as a 710.

A 712 does not swerve on a panic stop like a 710 does.

We are sending a 712 over to the manufacturer so that a closer look and/or live installation could be attempted - bute quite honestly, it seems like there will never be enough space to have this device correctly installed in order for it to perform right.

Best Regards,

Jacques
EuroPinz

Post by EuroPinz »

Now we are looking at another OD. Also electrically actuated. The price is cheaper, about 1,100 Euros.
Lenght is: 260 mm, Width is 170 mm and High is 240 mm

Depending how you build it in, backwards or forwards, it will either reduce the gears down or shift the gears up. One can select from 0.5 up to 1.5 gearshift sequence.

Here is the Link - SORRY again in German:

http://www.hb-motorsport.de/index2.htm

Best Regards,

Jacques
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

This will be VERY welcome as our engine advancements create a broader powerband with much more gross torque.

I'll take one-

My 3.3L prototype engine will thank you.
Jake Raby
Owner, Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com